Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quandary

I've just watched Julie & Julia, and true enough, blogging is probably one of the most narcissistic endeavour one could partake in.

But that's not what I wanted to get into. I just wanted to sorta prepare you for yet another self-absorbed post.

Let's begin. Why do I seem to have the oldest soul ever? I always feel like I'm too old for shit, I'm jaded as fuck, I have practically no 'young person drive' (whatever that's supposed to mean) in me.

And I now basically seek comfort over everything else. For example, I'm heading to Oz for my graduation ceremony next month, and I was tempted to book a hotel to stay in. A hotel. That's such a ridiculous idea because it'd be so freaking expensive. Something like AUD 2+ k for 6 nights. Imagine that! One could travel to India for 2 weeks with that money alone wtf. So no, no hotel... just a possibly cramped hostel with noisy customers and faulty electronics. Even that wouldn't be that cheap either. Given that, why would anyone want to travel to Oz, I would never know. It's expensive, it's boring, it's culturally blah. But I digress.

But oh... Imagine what it would be like if we got to stay in a hotel. Clean sheets (as far as the eyes can see anyway), clean bathroom and toilet, spacious room, comfortable environment... just, ahhhhhh... and then I start lamenting how long ago was it that I stayed in a hotel wtf. Just like an old person. Y'know? All these lamenting and reminiscing, makes me feel so goddamn old, like I've lived a hundred years and my best years have gone by. Which is so unfucking true.

I'm at an age very suitable for roughing it out, but all I wanna do is sleep in comfort at night, cos goddamnit a good night's sleep is so fucking important to not feeling like crap the next day. This kinda poses a dilemma... I'm all for minimalism and decluttering one's life and spending less, but this kinda entails one to rough it out. To be clear, I'm talking about minimalism in the sense of being able to fit all your belongings in a backpack and to just take off and pursue a nomadic lifestyle anytime. It's about keeping it to the absolute basics. And quite possibly having to relieve oneself in the bushes once in awhile wtf.

Yet, being an advocate of comfort goes against this notion of living off one's backpack. Living in hostels, couch surfing, being constantly on guard... plus comfort requires stuff. Paying for services and buying stuff etc. Fluffy stuff, hard stuff, whichever you prefer. But once again, being against excessive consumerism leaves me in a quandary. Ain't life just a bunch of endless contradictions.

To sum it up, I'm all for comfort but I'm also all for minimalism and against excessive consumerism. These do not exactly go together.

One could always argue that you can be comfortable while being a minimalist. Sure, it's not impossible. But I suppose you'd have to tweak a little your perception of what comfort is. Like, you'd have to accept peeing or taking a dump in the bushes as being perfectly comfortable. OK, maybe not to that extent. But what I'm trying to say is you'd just have to let go of a lot of things. A lot of little things that you take for granted in your daily life. And I suppose that's what it's all about, right? Learning how to let go. One of the hardest things to do, just take me for instance, you'd miss the comfort of hotels sometimes.

And, I guess one could also argue that nuns and monks live with basics while not having to compromise on comfort. Again, they've learnt to let go of material and worldly desires, thus their idea of comfort would probably differ from yours.

What the heck, I just wanted to talk about how I have the oldest soul ever, how did I end up talking about minimalism and all sorts of stuff?

No comments: